Treat yourself this weekend to a delicious breakfast/brunch of homemade waffles with fresh fruit. Making them is much easier than you might think and you don't have to own a waffle iron either!
The recipe below is one that I've adapted so that it's dairy-free and vegan too. They taste identical to regular waffles and they still have that same 'eggy taste'. These are absolutely delicious - slightly fluffy inside and slightly crispy on the outside, just as I like them!
You will need:-
- 350g plain flour
- 1tbsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 750ml soya or other milk substitute
- 80ml orange juice
- 80ml rapeseed or groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- fresh fruit of your choice (to serve)
- maple syrup / Choc Shot (to serve)
1. In a large bowl, sift the plain flour and mix with the baking soda, salt, soy milk, orange juice, oil and vanilla until everything is thoroughly blended.
2. Pour the mixture into a greased waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a silicone waffle mould (I used one like this) and bake in your oven at 200C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. If doing the latter, make sure that you fill the mould only 3/4s of the way to allow the waffles to rise.
3. Serve immediately with fresh fruit, maple syrup or Choc Shot, or indulge and have all three!
Note: This recipe makes about 20-25 small waffles (as shown) if using the above mould. Once cooked (and cooled down of course) you can then freeze them for later. When you want them, just pop them straight into your toaster to re-heat! Soooooooo easy.
Do you love waffles for breakfast/brunch?