This veggie and protein packed bowl of goodness provides a satisfying and filling meal for any time of the day, plus you can make it in less than 15 minutes. It's healthy fast food!
I've adapted this recipe from Chrissy Freer's book, 'Superlegumes' (which is a great cookbook by the way if you want to find out how to get more beans and legumes into your daily diet - well worth a read), so that's it's suitable for vegetarians and vegans as her original recipe contained chorizo which you can use if you're an omnivore. The basis is still the same though, I've just swapped around some of the ingredients. If you're short on time, you can use any kind of microwaveable bag of basmati rice and then add some turmeric to it when it's in the pan.
I love making this when I want a lunch that's going to be substantial to keep me going for the rest of the day, but isn't going to make me feel bloated or tired afterwards. It's ridiculously quick and easy so give it a try!
Ingredients (serves 2 hungry people as a main):-
- 2 tsp of Coconut or Avocado Oil
- 1 Red Onion - finely chopped
- 1 Red Pepper - seeded & diced
- 150g tinned Sweetcorn (or you can use fresh cobs if you have more time)
- 200g Kidney Beans - drained
- 100g Kale - centre veins removed
- Handful of Chestnut Mushrooms - sliced
- 1 bag of microwavable Basmati Rice (if you're short on time)
- 1 tsp of Turmeric
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- Dairy-free Natural Yoghurt (to serve)
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Heat the Oil in a large saucepan. Add the Onion, Red Pepper, Sweetcorn, Chestnut Mushrooms and Kidney Beans and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the Sweet Paprika and stir everything together for another minute.
- Add the cooked Basmati Rice and Turmeric, and either stir everything together, or you can keep them separate in the pan as shown above - just make sure that the Turmeric is stirred throughout the rice.
- Add the Kale and allow it to gently wilt amongst the veggies for another minute.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve with fresh a squeeze from the fresh Lime wedges and a good spoonful of Dairy-Free Natural Yoghurt. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of Bean & Rice Bowls?