Viridian 100% Organic Raw Coconut Oil* (500g, £14, link)
Coconut Oil is incredible stuff. I've been using it for beauty purposes for around two years now and always have a tub of it in my bathroom. Not only does it smell delicious (obviously!), but it can be used in a variety of ways, making it one of the most useful products to have in any beauty junkie's stash.
Pure Coconut Oil generally comes in a solid format, and is commonly sold in tubs or jars. It's processed from the flesh of the coconut and has been used for centuries in Asian countries for both cooking and beauty purposes. Coconut Oil has amazing moisturising properties, as well as being naturally anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. Below are my 10 favourite ways that you can use this wonder oil in your everyday beauty routine:-
1. All over Body Moisturiser - Take a small amount, rub between your palms to soften and warm it up, then apply all over after a shower or bath. I like using it at night and waking up to silky soft skin in the morning.
2. Eye make-up remover - With a tiny amount, apply over closed, dry eyes, and it will literally melt off your make-up in a matter of minutes, even waterproof mascara! Take it off with warm water & a muslin cloth/flannel.
3. Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment - Apply to dry hair, leave on for an hour (or longer if your hair is particularly dry or damaged), then shampoo it out, making sure to rinse it properly.
3. Taming Flyaways and Frizz - Rub a teeny amount between your palms and smooth away frizzy hair in an instant.
4. Lip Balm - Apply to chapped lips before going to sleep for softened lips in the morning.
5. Body Scrub - Mix your Coconut Oil with sugar for a great body scrub.
6. Intensive Scalp Treatment - If you have a dry or flaky scalp, massage a small amount into the scalp, and leave on overnight. Shampoo and rinse out thoroughly the next day.
7. Stretch Marks & Scars - Rub into affected areas daily to help reduce the appearance of scars and stretch marks (especially effective when used during pregnancy to help prevent them).
8. For Shaving - Melt some coconut oil until it's completely fluid, and apply it to legs etc when shaving. Also works well for post-shaving moisturising.
9. In a Face Mask - I've used Coconut Oil in a couple of DIY Face Masks, and find that using it with honey works the best for me. You get the best of both worlds as it's hydrating but antibacterial and spot-fighting at the same time.
10. Cuticles & Eyelashes - Massage a tiny amount into cuticles to soften them, and gently apply to eyelashes. Apparently it helps them both to grow!
You can buy pure coconut oil from health food shops and supermarkets, with the price varying depending on whether you purchase it refined, unrefined, organic, fair trade etc. The one I'm using at the moment (as pictured) is from Viridian which is 100% organic.
Do you use Coconut Oil?